In 1969, the École normale de l’Université d’Ottawa, which had trained thousands of French-Ontario teachers since 1927, joined our Faculty of Education.
Next up to join the Faculty, on August 19, 1974, was the Ottawa Teachers’ College, which had prepared generations of English-language teachers. The College officially joined the Faculty on September 1 of the same year so as to ease into the start of a new school term.
The École normale was located on Séraphin-Marion in what is today Hagen Hall. The Ottawa Teachers’ College was downtown on the corner of Laurier Avenue and Elgin Street. It was housed in a magnificent limestone building that was constructed in the neo-Gothic style between 1875 and 1892. This jewel of our heritage is now part of Ottawa’s City Hall and is recognized as a National Historic Site of Canada by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Since 1978, the Faculty of Education’s teacher education programs in French and English have been carried out in Lamoureux Hall, which was named in honour of the founder of the École normale de l’Université d’Ottawa, Father René Lamoureux.
You can learn more about the history of the Faculty of Education by contacting the University of Ottawa Archives. For more information, visit www.archives.uOttawa.ca.